We all know that lack of sleep makes us grumpy and foggy. However, it can have more serious repercussions than just that. It can affect your memory, health, looks, weight and your sex life as well. Sleep loss can have many surprising effects like:
- Accidents: Sleep deprivation has led to many huge disasters in history. Sleeping behind the wheel is still a common cause for road accidents. Lack of sleep makes you groggy & makes it hard for you to focus hence causing accidents.
- Serious health problems: Sleep disorders & chronic sleep loss can lead to the following health conditions:
- Heart diseases
- Heart attacks
- Heart failure
- Irregular heartbeat
In particular, lack of sleep doubled the risk of death from cardiovascular disease.
- Killing your sex drive: Sleep deprived men & women report lower libidos and less interest in sex. Due to lack of sleep, they also have depleted energy, sleepiness and increased tension.
- Depression: Sleep disorders can also be a contributing factor to the symptoms of depression. The most common sleep disorder, insomnia has the strongest link to depression. It is in fact one of the first symptoms of depression.
- Skin ageing: A few nights of missed sleep can give people sallow skin and puffy eyes. Chronic sleep loss can lead to fine lines, dark circles and dull skin.
- Forgetfulness: Lack of sleep can decrease your ability to focus and hence affect your memory. Since you cannot properly concentrate on anything because your brain hasn’t had enough rest, you end up forgetting things and compromising on your daily life.
- Weight gain: Sleep deprivation can lead to increase in hunger and appetite resulting in obesity. According to a 2004 study, people who sleep for less than 6 hours are more likely to be obese than those who sleep for seven to nine hours.
Getting a good sleep is a must for a healthy and bright future! To maintain a healthy lifestyle, try to get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep.